Tuesday, April 5, 2011

AMAZING... That's What I Am

I am AMAZING!

That's right, you read that correctly. I am AMAZING! I am AWESOME! I am SO proud of myself right now. Why? You may ask. Because this kid did two awesome runs today. Not one, but TWO runs! How's that for spectacular?! (Pretty dang spectacular if you ask me- just saying.)

My first run was outside. I ran from my house to my friend John's house. He just came home from Kentucky last night (he has been gone for almost 3 months or so doing a show) and was going to NYC for a week to do some auditions (yes, he is an actor. And yes, he is phenomenal!). I decided to run to his house to say good bye to him before he hopped on the train. It was only 2.6 miles (completed in 43min I'd like to add) but the last 3/4 of a mile was all uphill. It was bleak and dreary and rainy and windy but I didn't mind. I feel into a good pace and ran about 1.5 miles before I stopped to walk. I tried to reserve my energy for the ending part of my run because I knew I was going to be facing some epic hill-ness. I ran about half the hill and walked the other half. I cannot wait for the day when I can run up a hill without having to stop. Oy.

Anywho, I ended up chatting with him for so long that I ran out of time to run back. I still had to shower, get all presentable, get gas and go to Kurt's for work- so John drove me home. I felt kind of bad about not getting in a longer run, and even after I got home from work I had a bunch of energy. I mean, I had psyched myself up for a 5mile run but ended up having to cut it short. So, since I didn't have to work my other job tonight I decided to hit the gym and run on the treadmill. I took a towel with me to put over the treadmill display because when I run I tend to always focus on how long I've been running or how far and I simply just wanted to run for running's sake. I put on Jeopardy and started my run. Then, Wheel of Fortune came on and I kept running. I don't know what it is about me and game shows, but when they are on I forget everything else that I may be doing. I was so focused on solving the puzzles that I didn't even realize how long or far I was running- I just ran. And when Wheel of Fortune was over, I moved the towel (mainly to wipe the pouring sweat off of me) and saw that I had done 3 miles in 46 minutes. 

My total mileage for today is 5.6 miles and I'm so friggin' proud of myself. Granted it wasn't all one long run, but still, I pushed my body and I feel I did rather well. However, the muscle in my thigh started acting up after I got home so I went out to Walmart and got a Ice/Heat wrap for it (always something good to have in general though anyway). I also was trying to decide if I wanted to buy some bandanas to wear to hold my hair back (my hair is really long) or if I could get away with a ponytail and a thin head band- especially since it's, hopefully, going to get warmer soon I need something to keep my hair out of my face, etc. But, it's a tough choice as my bandana blew off while I was running today, but headbands tend to slide off as well. Ugh. 

Questions for Today:

1. Now that the warmer weather is approaching, what are some things that you do to keep your hair out of your face and/or off your neck?

2. What is the best or hardest run you ever done?
I have to say that my best run was still the run to my grandmother's house. 4.5 miles in an hour.

3. What do you do to help with sore muscles?
Usually Icy Hot is my best friend, along with my body bands. But the muscle in my thigh is resisting my healing efforts

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

I am SOOOOOOO excited and super happy for you! Wooo Hoooo double sessions!!!! Kristin, you are kicking some serious butt!! I LOVE IT :-)

Visors are helpful in the summer to keep the sun out of our eyes and your hair off your neck. I also dig the double braids and a bandanna.

I have to say my best run was on a day similar to yours. I went for two runs one day just because it was the first day that felt like spring after this gross winter and I was so pumped just to be running for funsies, I flew! That and any run that I hit big mile markers for the first time.

Rest is a four letter word, but unfortunately necessary for muscles that are sore in any sort of "pulled" way, but for muscles that are sore due to a good workout the day before, a hot shower and stretching is my fav.

CONGRATS ON THE AWESOMENESS!

Fruit Fly said...

I'm a long haired girl, too ... and lately I've been braiding my hair on my long runs. After the half marathon when my pony tail was one giant snarl I figured I better be pro-active and try to stop the tangles before they happen! I also started wearing a visor or hat depending on my outfit and the weather. That's mostly for the rain though - if I can keep my face dry I don't really care about getting wet.

I'm not sure what my best run is. I'm most proud that I finished the half marathon - but we goofed off A LOT during it. My 2nd one is this Sunday though, so maybe this weekend will be my best run!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

I cut my hair to keep it short. I have a buzzer if you'd like to borrow it. =P

My hardest run was the half marathon. The first six to seven miles were easy, but after that, my body wanted a nap!

Sore muscles usually get a personal rub down, a swim workout, or a combination of that and the hot tub.