Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Oh Poo (and I Don't Mean the Bear)!

I had a really good short run tonight. I'm actually rather proud. I managed to run 1.4 miles before I had to stop and walk. Hooray! I don't know if it's because I'm still on a "I'm-so-proud-of-myself" high from Saturday's race or if it's because I'm well rested or because I was just in a running mood- whatever the reason I managed to maintain a nice steady pace for almost 1.5 miles. Holler! According to my iTouch, the first mile was a 13:25 and the second mile was a 14:30. Not too bad at all, in my opinion.

Perhaps I ran faster because I had a rather upset tummy.
 

About 0.75 miles in, my stomach started giving me that "I'm SO not happy with you" feeling. I refused to stop running and pushed through it. I didn't want to have to turn around to use the bathroom so early into my run (I can be stubborn when I want to). As Watch Me Go Run found out HERE, running whilst clenching one's butt muscles is a rather difficult endeavor. However, I do think it made me run a little bit fast during that second mile because I didn't want to waste anymore time getting back to the potty. (TMI?) Considering how upset my stomach was, I only actually walked 7-8 minutes of the 32 minutes I ran. That's awesomeness! So excited!

I'm also excited because a friend is going to come over tomorrow morning to go running with me. I love running with new people- it pushes me to do better (I mean, I don't want to look like a complete fail in front of my friends and family, do I? haha). Tomorrow's training run has to be 40 minutes long. I'm hoping to get in 3 miles, if not a whole 5k. I'm ambitious, I know. It also depends on how hot it is (we have FINALLY hit a warm weather patch) and what sort of pace E is comfortable running. We shall see how it goes, but as of right now, I have a positive look on things. :)

Also, found this quote today and it sort of inspired me:

4 comments:

MrsQ318 said...

Sorry about your tummy troubles! I went through the same thing a couple weeks ago... Not fun!

Melissa C said...

Tummy problems are no fun! I love that quote. I felt like that about having children- like there no is perfect time and I just had to do it. This applies very well to my half ironman coming up that honestly, yesterday, I thought, "had I not paid for it already, I wouldn't be doing it anymore and wait until later". thanks for the motivation!

Wells L said...

immodium is my good friend - hope you feel better! GREAT GREAT GREAT job on your run. Girl -without knowing it, you're becoming awesome -oh yeah!!! Nice job!!!!!!!!!!! Have fun with E tomorrow. Running partners are totally the BEST thing about running for me!!!!! Can't wait to hear all about it.

KT80 (Running Like a Girl) said...

I'm always amazed by how much we can do when we just do it and don't tell ourselves no!