Friday, May 27, 2011

Summer!

It's Warm!
It's practically SUMMER!!

I went out for a run yesterday afternoon- no destination in mind, no time crunch to worry over. It was warm out, which was nice, and I fell into a nice, steady pace. I hit my mile marker and decided to turn back around to head home (I needed to shower and get ready for work). When I hit my street, I checked my watch and did an instant double-take. There was no way my clock read 23:09! What!? That's craziness! That means I did a sub 12 minute mile FOR TWO WHOLE MILES! I'm officially patting myself on the back for that. I mean, it's not a pace I could hold for 13.1 miles right now, but I'm impressed I was able to do it for two miles.

Also, now that it's finally warmer out, a magical, wonderful thing has happened.

Our pool is open!!

Ok, so it's kind of green still and definitely not ready to go swimming in, but at least it's open again! I can't wait to go for a long run and then hop directly into my pool (running clothes and all- minus my shoes and iTouch haha). I'm not a swimmer by any means, but a refreshing dip after a hot run sounds amazing! And who doesn't love lounging in the pool every now and again?

In other news, I went to a friends concert the other night (he's a music teacher and his kids had their final concert of the year- they were Phenomenal!). His school is in a different part of the state, so I headed up there a little earlier than I should have and did some shopping at EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports). It's the first time I had ever gone in there so I did a lot of perusing. They have some awesome wool running socks that I may go back and purchase. They also had a large amount of GU and other energy gels, so I got some. 

I bought a Powerbar gel in Vanilla, a Clif bar gel in Vanilla, and an 8 pack box of GU in Lemon/SubLime. I can't wait to try it out! Anyone ever use any of the above products?  If so, how did you like them? If not, do you use something different that you prefer?

Also, don't forget to enter my Bondi Band Give Away HERE!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Totaly GU addict here....I do like the lemon/sublime. I can't remember if it is caffienated or not, I do like the ones with caffiene better, but that is just me. I do like the taste of this. It is one of flavors that I have no issues taking mid race. Usually I like to just have vanilla in a race and strong flavors bother me, but I am getting over that with the Roctane being berry/fruit flavored.

Fruit Fly said...

Pool time!!
I threw away my small pool - turned too green to salvage. I think I had things swimming in it. But I want to get another for the same reason - jumping in after a long run!

I sampled some Clif bar vanilla gel at the last expo I was at. SO GOOD!! Unfortunately I haven't found it anywhere so that I can buy it and actually test it during a run. But you found it, so I know it is out there!

KT80 said...

That's awesome and will get you to being able to run that for 13.1! Tomorrow I will run a short run and then do my distance on Sunday. I am planning to go faster tomorrow, and will see if I can keep at a sub-12 pace for the run.

Enjoy your Friday! :)

Nej said...

Congrats on the TWO sub 12 minute miles!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome!!!