Thursday, August 26, 2010

Bucket List

A few days ago, a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to try and run a leg of a triathlon with him next year. Now, for anyone who knows me, you will recall that I only run when being chased (say by a vehicle, or a dangerous animal, or perhaps by a massively monstrous person wielding a deadly weapon). Suffice it to say, running is NOT my forte, but having had some time to mull it over, I realized that training myself to run and actually participate in that leg of the triathlon would be a HUGE accomplishment for me. You see, I'm a rather competitive person and being in a race would probably be a blast but I just don't feel that I'm athletic enough to do so right now. So, I've vowed that I'm going to work towards getting myself in shape to run, and finish, that race.

This vow spurred a whole new slew of thoughts that actually made a lightbulb go off in my head. Have you ever seen the movie Bucket List with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman? It's about two terminally ill men who make a list of things they want to do before they "kick the bucket". I soon came to realize that running in a race is an achievable goal for me but is something I have never really put the time or effort into trying to do. And I said to myself, "Self, you're never too young to make a bucket list of your own and start crossing stuff off, right? So why not have at it?"

I've officially made my own bucket list- things I want to do before I die, things that I only dreamed I could accomplish, things that will make me happy and proud of myself. It's not necessarily a long list, but it's meaningful, and I can always add more if I want to do so.


Here it is:
  1. Run a race of some kind. Whether it is a marathon, part of a triathlon or any version thereof, I want to run, and most importantly, FINISH a race.
  2. Travel to Italy to meet my family over there.
  3. Go on a cruise.
  4. Live/work in the Maldives.
  5. Audition for a Broadway show. I don't care if I get cast or not, but one day I will say that I auditioned for Broadway!
  6. Help a complete stranger. Something more than holding the door though.
  7. Learn to speak Spanish and Italian.
  8. Capture the perfect shot (photo).
  9. Go shopping on Rodeo Drive.
  10. Take a cake decorating class.
  11. Work in a bakery - most specifically on cupcakes.

No comments: