Monday, September 13, 2010

Nightmare on My Street

"Welcome to my nightmare. I think you're going to like it..."
-Alice Cooper

The past two nights I've had some odd nightmares. I looked up the meanings in multiple dream reference sites but I wanted to post them here and get y'all's opinions as well.
The first night I dreamt that I was swimming in a large pool. There was a white ladder that lead into the bright, teal-colored water. In the water with me were a few other random people, whom I did not and do not recognize. I just remember that we were all swimming around and having fun when all of a sudden I noticed a dark shape under the water. It was a shark. And the more I looked around, the more sharks I noticed. I started yelling at everyone to stay calm and get out of the water, but there was only the one ladder and so many people. Then my vision switched to an omnipotent view under the water. I could see the sharks circling people's legs but, oddly enough, they never bit anyone. It was almost like the sharks were smelling the people and then decided they didn't like the scent so they decided not to attack. I ended up being the last person in the pool and the sharks swarmed me. I woke up right after that thankfully.

Now, I know that may not seem like a horrific nightmare, but imagine the terror and adrenaline you would experience if that was really happening to you. That's what I was going through in my dream. It all seemed to real and vivid. Anyway, I looked up "sharks" in the dream dictionary and this is what I found- "To see a shark in your dream, indicates feelings of anger, hostility, and fierceness. You are undergoing a long and difficult emotional period and may be an emotional threat to yourself or to others. Perhaps, you are struggling with your individuality and independence, especially in some aspect of your relationship."
Well, we definitely know I am struggling with my individuality, in a sense. Trying to figure out who I am outside of a romantic relationship, so I guess it applies.

The other nightmare I had occurred last night. I dreamt that my best guy friend, one of my best friends ever, decided he didn't want to be my friend anymore. In the dream he was yelling at me and belittling me and he said "The only reason I was your friend was by accident. It was a prank that got messed up. It was supposed to end years ago." Now, in reality, that statement doesn't make much sense, but in my dream I was all torn up over it all. I looked up a few key terms t try and make some sense of this dream (besides the obvious fear of abandonment).

"
Dreaming that someone hurts you emotionally—such as hurting your feelings, insulting or demeaning you—can mean you are remembering, experiencing, or expecting emotional hurt in your real life."

"Dreaming that you have been rejected could mean:

  • You are feeling rejected, let down, or left out in real life—in a current or past situation
  • You are rejecting or judging yourself in some way (try releasing judgments of yourself and accepting yourself just as you are)"
"A friendship can represent:
  • The actual person, or the type of role that person plays in your life: support, inspiration, humor or entertainment, or even betrayal, disrespect, etc.
  • Someone else in real life (for example, your brother in a dream could actually represent someone in your life who feels like a brother to you)"
There you have it. Apparently I'm a violent mess who has an intense fear of abandonment. Or, I'm struggling emotionally while judging and rejecting myself. Or, I'm a shark with best friend issues. Whatever they mean... it's weird.

No comments: