Friday, February 25, 2011

A Short Burst of Insanity

Yesterday was my cross training day. I did 30minutes on the elliptical, which actually was a piece of cake after having been running so much. Then I did some ab work for a while. Next, I hopped on the bike for 20 minutes (because it starts to bother my knees if I go longer), and I finished up my day with some more ab work and leg work on the machines. In total, I was at the gym for a little under 2 hours. Not bad, self, not bad at all.

Even though my spending two hours at the gym may seem somewhat crazy to people, it didn't feel that way to me. I left the gym feeling limber and excited about my workout. My posture was better, at least for a few minutes anyway, and my energy was up for the day. I even got my brother and his girlfriend to come with me again.

No, dear readers, my bout of insanity didn't hit until much, much later last night- way after I had left the gym. See, almost every Thursday, a few of my friends and I get together for our "Girls Night", which usually consists of us making dinner, having a beer or glass of wine, and just relaxing and chatting for a few hours. Last night, we were watching "He's Just Not That Into You" on television (which is a fantastic movie by the way) when a commercial came on that caught my interest.

It was a commercial for the American Cancer Society and it was promoting their upcoming 3 day/60 mile Walk. I sat there watching all these men and women holding up their shoes, walking happily with each other, doing their part for a great cause and I thought to myself "Self, wouldn't that be fun to do, but instead of walking, you could run it?" I'm pretty sure I could hear the normally tiny voice of sanity in my head fall over in shock, get back up and start screaming at me, "Are you INSANE?! You haven't even done the half marathon yet! You don't know if you can handle 13.1 miles, never mind 60! I think we need to get you checked into a hospital stat."

I mean, my sane side does have a point- I haven't even finished my first week of training! I was having trouble running 40 minutes the other day, how can I expect myself to try and run 60 miles?! However, despite all the rational concerns being leveled at me, the insane side of me, which apparently seems to be becoming more dominant as time goes by, still insists it would be fun to try. Oy.

1 comment:

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

I LOVE (I wish there was a word that expressed the true extreme feeling I have right now - "love" does not cut it) that you had that thought!!

Exercise and athletic events are quite addicting! And if you asked me seriously, I'd say "Hell yeah you can do it!" Maybe not tomorrow or next week, but give it time and you'll get there.

Hahaha. I love it!! Welcome to the insane side!