Saturday, February 19, 2011

You Can Dodge a Wrench, You Can Dodge a Ball...

Hello all my lovely readers! I hope everyone had a fantastic day, I know I did! :)

Today I met up with Wojoku (Kurt) and we went to work. We ended coloring hands and making flowers with the group of girls after school at the Boys and Girls Club today. The kids were a blast and watching them make flowers was SO adorable! They even ran around afterwards asking everyone to smell their flowers (which were made out of tissue paper). After work we went to the gym. It was my first time at Kurt's gym and it was a little overwhelming. The gym I usually go to is comparable to Average Joe's gym from the movie Dodgeball. Kurt's is more like Global Fitness. I have a free 2 week pass to go and use the gym, thanks to my friend Chelsea, so today seemed like a good day to check it out. It was a little different set up than I'm used to- at my gym the cardio machines and weights are in separate rooms, and here there were all mushed into one room. However, this gym has a pool, hot tub and sauna. Sweet! I was on a time crunch today so I only got to do a run and then shower, as we had a show to get to, but I fully intend on going back and utilizing the hot tub and sauna.

I did a full 2 mile run today, and I'm happy to say that I managed to do over 5 miles this week. I'm rather proud of myself. I'm still unhappy that my body is not gaining endurance as fast as I would like it to. I was hoping I would be able to run almost 2 miles straight by now, but I still tend to have to stop and walk after doing only 1. Anyone know what can help with my endurance, besides just more running? Both Kurt and my trainer/tour guide at the gym today mentioned circuit training to build up my core and leg strength. I'm open to any and all advice. I'm also still waiting (Sunday cannot come fast enough) to get my Non-Runner's Marathon Guide so I can check out what kind of training schedule she used and figure how I can work it into mine.

I feel almost like my body has hit a brick wall for running and I just need to get over this hurdle so I can move on, but I'm stuck. I've been running since last summer, so granted it's only been a few months, but I feel that having built up enough endurance to run for 2 miles straight is a feasibly goal, so why am I not meeting it? Grrr.

Anywho, it's late and I have to work in the morning so I'm not inputting all of the numbers for today. I will still break down what I ate though:

Peanut Butter and Banana Soy Protein Shake
2 Clementines
Carrots and Hummus
Chicken and Biscuits (which ruined my whole carb free day- boo!)
Banana and Peanut Butter
Strawberries (3 sliced ones)
Blackberries/Raspberries (about a handful of both combined)
Roasted Chicken (about a cup serving)
I'm sure I'm well within my caloric range for today, especially considering I did run 2 miles. Woot! Tomorrow I am going out of state, so I'm going to have to pack some fruits and such to go along with me. I also am going to be very conscious about what I eat as we are going out to dinner. And on Sunday, my parents are taking me out to Red Robin for my birthday, so it's another day I will have to be careful about what I choose on the menu. But, I can do this!

3 comments:

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

Is there anything specific that you know of that keeps you from running the full 2 miles straight?

I know when I started running last summer I would have said it was my lungs, but all that turned out to be was that I had to mentally get used to the fact that slightly labored breathing is normal and I can in fact keep it up for a good amount of time. So it was really my brain that held me back.

Chelsea said...

Focusing on breathing is really important. When I started running I couldnt listen to music because I had to focus on my breath ( out out out innnnnn) A good way to get over a mental mileage block is to run very slowly, like way slower than your normal pace but still at a run or jog. That allows you to reach mileage goals for the first time and then you can be like " see body? You are fine. Now relax!" Afyr that you can pick up your speed :-)

CupCake@ Bigger Girls Can Run Too said...

It might be my brain. It's partially labored breathing and tired muscles.