Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Hill By Any Other Name.... Would Still Be a Pain

Today I woke up, determined to have a fantastic run. I knew I was going to be running 40 minutes before I had to leave for work, so I made sure to set my alarm clock for a decent wake up time where I could run, shower, eat, and do any other various chores that needed to be done.
In all actuality, my mother ended up having a board meeting at our house, so I woke up an hour early (because of all the loud "discussions" going on downstairs). That's okay though. I felt rather rested so I don't mind... too much.

Needless to say, since I had some extra time to kill, I stayed in bed and played around on DailyMile.com. I checked the weather outside and saw that it is relatively warm- perfect for an outside run right? I must be truly crossing over to the dark side (though I have yet to see a cookie). Not only did I wake up knowing I had to run 40 minutes, which is a challenge in itself, but then I decided to run outside on top of that? Someone please contact an asylum, asap.

But, dear readers, my insanity gets worse even still. The run I mapped out ended up being down past Beaver's Pond and back up- a path, that I hadn't realized until just recently, is chock full of hills. Not all of them are large and in charge; Some are tiny, rather insignificant little elevations while others are steady, but considerable inclines. Yet, even more are actually just mounds of ice/snow that have yet to melt, but still required me to climb up and over them (it SO counts). No matter what type of hill, they are all a pain in my ass. Literally. Figuratively. All of the above.

Honestly though, my quads and glutes haven't had such an intense workout in a long time. They were threatening to mutiny by the time I circled back to the larger hills but I managed to convince them that we could make it through if we just all stuck together and took it slow. To be honest, I was so focused on overcoming those hills that I don't even have any idea what songs were playing on my iPod. Actually, that's a lie. I do remember Eye of The Tiger coming on as I was approaching a hill, but that's about all I recall.

Anyway, as you can see by my DailyMile.com gadget at the top of my blog (p.s.- if anyone uses dailymile.com- ADD ME!), I managed to complete 2.06 miles in my 40 minutes. I must admit, I'm rather proud that I was able to go that far. I didn't think I was going to break 2 miles, but I did. Yay for the smaller achievements!
As for now, I'm ravenous and must go gorge myself on fruits and veggies before I finish getting ready for work. YUM YUM!

No comments: