Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I'm Excited.... Say What?!

Firstly, I must say that I love Brussel Sprouts. I've eaten a serving or two over the past 4 nights and they are absolutely fantastic. I remembered liking them as a kid, but haven't had them in years. Glad I found some when I went shopping the other night.

Now that that is out of the way I have to report that I got a small injury the other night when I was running on the treadmill. Nothing major (like the current runner's nipple I am still battling) but it is random and I'm wondering if other people have experienced the same kind of thing. I tend to run with an iPod armband on, even when wearing short sleeves because that's what they're meant for, right? Apparently the velcro was all askew while I was running because it scraped up the inside of my arm rather nicely. Like I said, nothing major, just interesting. How does one prevent that from happening (besides being more aware of securing the velcro correctly)? I'm interested to know for when the warmer weather comes and I'm wearing short sleeves or a tank top with my armband. Any advice will be welcomed.

In other news, I was scheduled to run 40 minutes today and I ended up running 50. I mapped out a nice little run through my surrounding neighborhood and even persuaded my friend Roo to come running with me. She hasn't run in awhile but she finished all 3.2 miles with me! Hooray for her! I have now become the person who jogs backwards in front of you or stands at a mile marker and cheers you on, screaming at you "You can do it!". So that's what it feels like to be motivated and excited about running?! I honestly wasn't sure I was going to reach this point. I figured I was just going to continue to feel tortured every time I put my ole blue shoes on to hit the trail/treadmill. But I'm actually rather learning to ENJOY running. Who knew it was possible?! And it has definitely become a lifestyle change for me. I make sure to make time everyday for running or crosstraining (granted I've only been running since last September). I cannot wait to run again on Saturday- I've got to do 60 minutes and I'm hoping to be able to hit 4 miles, if not more. Here's to running! CHEERS!

3 comments:

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

As far as the velcro issue, I'd say either get some sort of arm band to go under the iPod holder or just really make sure it's set right. Personally, I've never had that issue and I now only run with a player if I am coming off the stationary bike onto the treadmill (not often).

Yay running coach!

Fruit Fly said...

Okay this is crazy! This is the third mention of Brussels sprouts in as many days! We talked about them at work out of the blue, then they came up on the phone last night, and now you like them! They are everywhere ... yet I don't even know what they look like!

Ha - and apparently I had no idea how it was spelled until spell check just yelled at me!

CupCake@ Bigger Girls Can Run Too said...

They look sort of like tiny little heads of lettuce. And most people tend to not like them, but I enjoy them. Funny how some things that aren't that common start to crop up out of no where, isn't it?