Monday, March 14, 2011

On an On, I Seem to Go On

So many things to update, so little time.
Friday was my rest day, thankfully, as I had a wedding to go to in New Rochelle, NY (which is about an hour and a half from where I live). Needless to say by the time I got home, it was very late at night (or early in the morning, depending upon how you wish to look at it). I had to get up early to work, and after standing on my feet for 5 hours, I had to do my long run of 60 minutes.

On the up side, the weather was rather Spring-ish (in the 50's) and I went running with my buddy Chris. The park was packed with people and cars, but we managed to do 4 miles in an hour. Yay! We even managed to impress an older woman who was sitting in her car. She rolled down her window and asked how many time we were planning to go around the park. When we told her we were doing 4 laps she replied with, "You're so brave!" As we were finishing mile three, she was leaving the park and called out to us again, wishing us the best of luck as we finished. It was sweet. I'm thinking of recruiting her as a personal coach. Maybe I can convince her to follow alongside of me in her car as I run and just yell encouraging things at me? Here's hoping!

Today's run was rather eventful as well. I planned on running for 40 minutes around my neighborhood even though my body was still rather beat from the weekend it had been through. On top of the wedding, waking up early Saturday for work, and running for an hour- on Sunday I had to be in to work for 8am, and it was daylight savings so I lost an hour of sleep. Boo!! Needless to say, my poor body was not very excited to be moving. It would have rather sat on the couch and watched Netflix.

Anyway, as I was about 3/4 of the way through my first mile, I tripped on an unknown object and ended up rolling my left ankle. Now, for anyone who has ever walked/run/done anything on two legs, you know that sometimes if you roll your ankle you can catch yourself- but once it gets past a certain point, you are just going down so you had better brace yourself. I hit that point today and I went down on the side of the road in front of about 4 cars.

You know how some people freeze up when they get embarrassed? Well, I had a similar moment. As I sat on the ground, still trying to process what had just happened, I decided that instead of pretending I had just fallen, I would pretend I was sitting down to stretch my legs. So, I started doing toe touches on the side of the road as cars zoomed by me. My inner voice told me this would be the less embarrassing option than brushing myself off and getting up to walk off my fall. (As side note- on my return run, I looked around in the spot I had fallen to see if I could find the unknown object that tripped me, but there was nothing around. Either it rocketed out from under my foot as I fell or I tripped on air. I'm going to go with option A, please.)

My left foot, on the outside, is sore from having all of my weight roll onto it. I'm going to see how it feels tomorrow and that will decide if I'm going to run my 45 minutes in the afternoon or not. My right leg, which took the other half of the impact is scraped up some, but it's not life-threatening.

Luckily, my ego is really the only thing that is bruised. On the up side, I still managed to finish my 3 mile run- so take that embarrassing fall! I win!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice scrape! I hate being injured, no matter how it happens. I do prefer having an object to blame, though. Overuse injuries are the worst!