Friday, March 18, 2011

Vitamins

I was talking with Becoming An Ironman today on our way to work about how tired I was. It wasn't because I had run 3 miles earlier in the morning either. But more so because I was feeling a bit under the weather. I have been feeling tired and having a lack of energy all week. This is another TMI, but my urine has been starting to smell slightly more like ammonia, and that is bad. It means I'm going into stasis and my kidneys are not happy with me. Most people attribute this to not having enough carbs in my current diet, even though I've been having at least 2-3 servings a day, as well as natural carbs from fruits and veggies. I telling him how I was contemplating adding more carbs back into my diet to help (hopefully) solve my energy and kidney problems, but carbs make me feel bloated and weighed-down so I don't like to eat too many of them.

Kurt suggested that I might want to possibly start taking a multi-vitamin to help balance out my nutrients. He said, while it may not help with the kidney issue completely, it will definitely help with the tired feeling and the continuous colds I have been fighting off. Basically, because I am running my body almost every day, all of my food/fuel is going to power my muscles, etc for my exercise. However, my immune system needs fuel as well in order to work properly and it is not getting it (hence why I keep getting colds).

I am a little cautious about taking a multi-vitamin, mainly because there are SO many out on the market. Multi-vitamins for Women, for Athletes, for Energy, for Weight Loss, etc etc. Which one do I take?! Kurt suggested starting off with just a general multi-vitamin like One A Day or Centrum.

So, my question to you all is this:

What do you think is the best multi-vitamin to take and why?

No comments: